Day Three For London .....

Starting yesterday evening, London decided that daddy wasn’t as cool he was before her nap. I came to find out from some of the other fathers that their girls did the same thing. They say they’ll have nothing to do with them and it was overnight. So I’m still in the game as it were. I’ve also been told it’s pretty regular.

Also London hasn’t made me a bragger about the poo-poo yet, one or two! We’ve tried prunes, prune juice, apple juice, and watermelon. All that really did was turn her into a little peeing machine, an unhappy peeing machine.

She slept through the night with just one big outburst. Christe walked her and she was quickly asleep again. I have to say this little girl can sleep. Part of it may be the cough and sneeze or it may be the cough medicine or we may be feeding her 4 times more that she was getting just days before.

We went to a museum that centered around a tomb unearthed in 1972. It contained three separate tombs, each one was a member of the family. It was very cool but pictures were not allowed once you entered so nothing to show you regarding that. In the picture I've included, I have no idea why I bare such a striking resemblance to Jim Neighbors of Gomer Pyle fame. "Well Shuh-zam, Sargent Carter!"

Then we were off to the Changsha embroidery museum and a quick tour of the embroidery ‘museum’ and one of the workshops. It was kind of neat. Most all of the ladies had pictures of dogs in one hand and where stitching it out with the other. It is very weird to think anyone is buying these works. I mean really, dogs playing poker maybe, but just some regular ol’ dog, what gives? I haven’t seen a single dog since I’ve been in China, (Hmmmmm) but yet all this embroidery is of dogs.

The local guide said that these "handicraft" is what the city is known for. "These handicraft are made for one of you president, can you guess?" (FDR) Also "You can see this one, yeah" "Also, we make one for the 'W', yeah, but you can see this one there no, because he takes it with him yes. So you want to see this yeah, you go to visit 'W'." Well I must say that in the US, it's not nearly as popluated as China so I'm sure she thinks we can just call ol' W up and come by to see the handicraft.

I did buy a few items for London when she gets older, no dogs among them though. Well let’s see then, what did we do next, oh I remember. It was off to the Apollo to with the other Zhuzhou families to buy some gifts to take to the orphanage tomorrow. We went as a group so we could pool our money. We bought pounds and pounds of formula and diapers.

What I think needs taking note of is what we as Americans find interesting. There have been numerous instances of “What the f….” throughout the trip. As an example, the split plants that the young kids wear here are a never-ending ‘odditiy’. It’s almost as if the Americans are on a Split Pants Paparazzi Patrol. I on the other hand am more interested in the ‘high fashion’ and what I assume is the daily life of the locals.

I caught a shot of the one guy walking down the street. He had what I think was bamboo cages about the size of the palm of you hand. Inside of some of them he had crickets or grasshoppers or something. It sounded like when you get the noisy locust in the summer in the midwest. I don’t think it was just me that thought he was out of place. I saw some of the other locals looking at him kind of weird.

I wonder what it must be like to wake up as young Changsha boy and wish to silently to yourself, “When I grow up, I want to be a cricket cage salesmen”.

On the London front, this little girl has been such an education, for me that is. She has taught me so much. For example, 90% of all locals wear sandals of some sort. It does not matter how hot it is, they generally have long pants or skirts on, but always, men or women, will have sandals on.

The other day all of the bits of information came together thanks to London. That’s right, you guessed it. We put closed toe shoes on our little girl and by the end of the day when we prepared her for bed we smelled something less than favorable coming from our little girl. We immediately peeled off the diaper expecting to find the golden brown prize but to no avail, the poo had not left the building.

After further investigation we found it, HER FEET STINK! That’s right, I said it! MY GIRLS FEET STINK. Let’s recap, the stores don’t sell deodorant, no one wears closed shoes and no one stinks. The magic is in the feet!

Well, I’m getting ready to go eat before I venture off to the orphanage and then maybe later Hunan University.

Take care all, and keep the comments coming. We can’t see them on my blog but I get them in emails when you write them.

Also I’m working on posting some windows media player video on another site, so stay tuned.

Cash

Comments

Anonymous said…
Love all your insights regarding all of the things you are doing while in China.

After I enlarged the photo of you and London, I did see the resemblence you mentioned in this last post. Sha zam Gomer!!! Love to all three of you.
Anonymous said…
congrats you guys your daughter is beautiful. she is 9 days younger than my son. hope you guys have an awesome time the rest of your trip in china.

love Monica
Anonymous said…
You are one lucky dude!! She is just beautiful. It's about time you listened and learned from someone.

Popular posts from this blog

Day 8, Medical Exam, Buddhist Blessing, 10 Family Temple, and a Pearl River Cruise…….whew

London is in China! - I have to post pictures slowly!

Cash’s stinky little error and more china travel tips …..